KOSMOS THEATRE is an independent company which focuses on combining classical theatre forms with achievements and technologies of contemporary science. Established in 2012 the creative team seeks for new artistic forms. By gathering young artists and bringing them creative and educational platforms the company started to push the limits with an aim of becoming a center of contemporary art experiments in Lithuania. Stepping in a new decade, from 2020 company is moving by a new KOSMOS manifesto created by artistic Director Žilvinas Vingelis and producer Darius Vizbaras.
Kosmos is an old Greek word κόσμος. It states that in the space that surrounds us exists a system- an order which is above our human existence. It is known as everything that surrounds us. From the structure of mass events, democracy, the probability of personality determined by the structure of antique plays, to the circle of life. Even the entire hierarchy of gods, or the whole galaxy perceived by the human mind. MicroKosmos form and move MacroKosmos, just like a clock works. It is an ancient fractal theory which states that in smallest pieces lies order of the biggest and vise versa.
Our basis of structure in creating a performance collides with the universal principles. The movement of the puppet in your hands and in your world exists just like you exist in God’s world. The more you see, the more you are seen. You are not alone. You are always a part of something bigger.
MANIFESTO IN KOSMOS THEATRE
* Multi-genre theatre. Therefore, mystical visual musical theatre rises from combining live music, drama, puppetry, modern dance and visual media.
* Analyze a dreamy reality. Unconsciousness, dreams, memories, virtual reality are the only measures of theatres reality. Therefore, theatre researches these pseudo realities, visual characters and relevant manipulation tools to represent characteristics of our dreamy reality.
* Science and art is the content. Therefore, creation of scripts involves contemporary science achievements and scientific topicality. Create teams involving scientists and artists whom can lead scientific researches in becoming material for performances.
* Science and art is the form. Therefore, combine contemporary approaches (3d animation, virtual reality ect.) with classical theatre genders. Research new forms and combinations to create theatrical installations.
* Theatre in public spaces. Therefore, actively transform public spaces to make it theatre stage. From festivals and fairs, to performances and visual installations. Establish performances in various cultural spaces and prioritise advertisements based on street art principles.
KOSMOS THEATRE IN ACTION
1. To create performances were dramaturgy is created based on scientific, art critic and cultural research. Therefore, quantum physics, neuroscience, theoretical physics, or the humanities answer the same questions as art.
2. To connect different theatre genders and acting forms or even refuse monotonic style of performances. Utilize it to a multi-genre aesthetic to express character change and thematic polemics, thus making the work more open to interpretation.
3. To respond sensitively to social or political topics and their profound coexistence with esoteric and invisible themes. Therefore, never rely solely on psychology and logical motivation, or simply on the surface of life.
4. To develop themes inspired by modern science, to give them a metaphysical basis; to look for similarities in differences and connectivity between heterogeneous disciplines. While performances based solely on psychological or socio-political explorations they are merely a visual representation of the fictitious answers already found to the eternal questions. Therefore, the purpose of art is to deal with these complex issues, rather than relying on literary truths and generalizations.
5. Do not follow blind logic. Look for theatrical paradoxes and reject everything domestic. Compress reality to surreality, seek complex artistic solutions.
6. To look for new models of the world and human functioning, fantastic rules, to create new causal relationships that allow us to look at the same problems from a different angle. Therefore, to boldly disclose the very law of operation of the problem under consideration without attempting to replicate ordinary domestic reality.
7. Always question the notions of reality and illusion, looking for identity in differences. Develop dualistic and ambivalent concepts rather than moralizing and direct concepts.
8. The performance must testify to the fact that a stage image that obeys unrealistic or unseen rules of life can create the illusion of real life and lead to recognition. Therefore, question the monotony, illusion and absurdity of our reality and lives, focus on comprehensive topics.
9. Theatre has always been socially active. Politics and commitment has always been imposed on the country. Therefore, free theatre has a natural right not to engage in it.
10. Theatre is designed to reduce conflicts between people’s ethnic, professional, political and social groups. Therefore, should choose topics to connect people, rather than divide them.
A person can be incredibly strong when it does not take itself too seriously. The aim of the theatre should be to challenge this exaggerated seriousness, not to replace it with dullness, but to offer the viewer an inspirational existential alternative. KOSMOS THEATRE seeks to inspire viewers to take interest in new scientific issues, to develop good taste and a responsible and curious attitude towards the world and their environment.